MSO10725 - Brandish Street Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse. Mid-late C19 incorporating part of earlier dwelling. Squared red sandstone random rubble, quoins, triple ridge tiles, small brick stack rising from eaves left, stone stack at rear, brick and stone stacks in wing. L-plan: C19 block, possibly refronting of earlier building facing south, east wing set into hillside at rear terminating in loft over stables. South front: 2 storeys, 5 bays, all C19 2-light casements first floor, ground floor segmental headed 3 and 4-light casements flanking entrance with gabled, clay tiled early C20 full height sun room left, entered on right return, glazed door, scallop tiled rustic porch to main entrance. Long right return of 4 bays including outbuilding, C19 and C20 casements. Interior not seen, assumed to contain features of interest.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265505. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  L-plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Gabled roof  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  A structure is visible at this location on the 1841 Selworthy Tithe map.  The building is shown on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39872 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9068 4678 (35m by 24m) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA139365 (National Trust HER entry: MNA139365)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/25/92
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MEM15266
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA139365
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31221
Record last edited
Oct 11 2021 12:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.