MMO529 - Post-medieval field system on Spangate Land (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The remains of a post-medieval field system lie on the southeast edge of Dunkery Hill, centred at SS 915 415. The field system covers an area of some 1 kilometre squared, and may have been associated with the occupation of Spangate, a farmstead across the valley which was deserted very recently (MSO6262). The field system was surveyed using differential GPS as part of the RCHME Exmoor Project.  A post-medieval field system is visible on aerial photographs as low earthworks centred on circa SS 915 413, extending for just over 50 hectares (0.5 square kilometres) over Spangate land and the southeastern slopes of Dunkery Hill. A small area of narrow ridge and furrow, probably evidence for post-medieval cultivation, can be seen on Spangate Land. The field system was transcribed as part of the Exmoor National Mapping Programme survey. [2-5] Numerous low banks or walls on the edges of Dunkery Hill forming a field system. [2, 7-9]
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 5 March 1997.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3231-3 (11 April 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3180, 4175-7 (11 April 1947).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79014 047-8 (17 April 1979).
- <5> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9141/2 (2113/1114) (20 April 1982).
- <6>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #32474 ]
- <7> SSO256 Aerial photograph: 1971. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 93. 8729.
- <8> SSO254 Aerial photograph: 1971. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 91, September. 8686, 8688.
- <9> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9140, 9141, 9142 and 9241.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9155 4130 (1109m by 830m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?a=0&hob_id=1086665 (Original Monarch entry: 1086665 (originally mapped to include MMO2681))
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1082549 (Original Monarch entry: 1082549)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11787
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6286
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6297
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW63
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW87
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1082549
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1086665
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34359
Record last edited
Aug 12 2020 10:49AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.