MMO2681 - Post-medieval field system on Luccombe Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The earthwork remains of extensive relict field systems of probable post-medieval date are visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards on the east facing slopes of Luccombe Hill, with dense concentrations at circa SS 9215 4340 and SS 9232 4256. The relict boundaries clearly form part of coherent field systems with extant field boundaries to the west Wootton Courtenay, and most likely represent a phase of abandonment or reduction in farm size, probably during the post-medieval date. It is unclear from the aerial photographs alone whether a possible road or track, centred at circa SS 9245 4316 and visible as two deep linear ruts, running north to south for about 300 metres, is contemporary with the field systems or later in date. The earthworks are still clearly visible on aerial photographs of 1970. [1-5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 (F20) 4097-8 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3179-81 (11 April 1947).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3202-3 (11 April 1947).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70380 170-71 (23 September 1970).
- <5>XY SMO7569 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 SW. MD002186. [Mapped feature: #32460 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9223 4306 (1057m by 1356m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1482585 (Original Monarch entry: 1482585)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW144
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1482585
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 9:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.