MMO449 - Possible Bronze Age barrow on Kipscombe Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Three low mounds of uncertain date were discovered on Kipscombe Hill during field reconnaissance. SS 7649 4934. 33 metres south-south-east of the Triangulation Station on the summit of Kipscombe Hill is a low circular mound 15 to 7 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high. In form it is a low rise or swelling on the crest of the south facing slopes of the hill. Kipscombe Hill was enclosed after World War Two. [1,2] This mound is visible as an earthwork roughly 18 metres in diameter on aerial photographs of 1952 and 1972, centred on circa SS 7649 4934. Two other similar mounds have been recorded as MMO1677 and MMO1678. This mound is similar in appearance and size to the bowl barrow recorded to the southeast of Kipscombe Hill at SS 771 491 (MDE1227) and it is suggested here that it may also be the remains of a small round barrow. In addition, the systematic examination of all available aerial photographs of Exmoor as part of the Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme (NMP) project has identified at least 6 further possible mounds of similar dimesions on Kipscombe Hill. These earthworks comprise a roughly linear group along the eastern group of Kipscombe Hill, and if proved to be small barrows, may form a cemetery similar in alignment, if not scale, to other barrow cemeteries on Exmoor, such as the Chapman Barrows (MDE1061). [3-5]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 November 1993.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Information from farmer at Coombe Farm.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 (F20) 3004-6 (17 October 1952).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 013-015 (15 April 1972).
- <5>XY SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168. [Mapped feature: #42794 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7649 4934 (28m by 28m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1002047 (Pastscape entry: 1002047)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11939
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE32
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1002047
Record last edited
Dec 15 2020 4:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.