MMO1677 - Possible Bronze Age barrow or cairn on Kipscombe Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Three low mounds of uncertain date were discovered on Kipscombe Hill during field reconnaissance. SS 7684944 [sic]. On the east facing slopes of Kipscombe Hill, and bisected by a modern west-east fence, is a sub circular rise or swelling 11 metres in diameter and 0.3 metres high. Kipscombe Hill was enclosed after World War Two. [1,2] A mound approximately 11 metres in diameter and visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs may be the remains of a small round barrow or cairn of Bronze Age date on Kipscombe Hill, centred on circa SS 7682 4943. Previously recorded as part of MMO449, the mound was identified on the ground and recorded as standing circa 0.3 metres high. Along with 10 other similar mounds recorded in this area, it may comprise a roughly linear cemetery along the eastern ridge of Kipscombe Hill, similar in arrangement, if not scale, to barrow cemeteries known elsewhere on Exmoor, such as the Chapman Barrows (MDE1061). It is now bisected by a modern westto east fence. [3-5]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 November 1993.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Information from farmer at Coombe Farm.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 (F20) 3004-6 (17 October 1952).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 013-015 (15 April 1972).
- <5>XY SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168. [Mapped feature: #42795 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7682 4943 (18m by 17m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460836 (Pastscape entry: 1460836)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11939
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE72
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460836
Record last edited
Jan 6 2021 9:44AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.