MDE1263 - Natural outcrop on Cheriton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
(SS 7520 4382) Hut Circle (NR)  Cheriton Ridge SS 7520 4388 shown as hut circle on Ordnance Survey but Whybrow suggests it is probably a natural outcrop.  SS 7520 4389. A cairn according to Whybrow; not found by Grinsell in 1969.  Neither a hut circle nor any natural outcrop could be found in this vicinity. The published entry would seem to be spurious.  There is no trace of a hut circle in the area of the National Grid References.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  "Hut Circle" is depicted and labelled on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS 7518 4381.  There is no trace of the feature shown on 2021 MasterMap data.  It is possible that the prehistoric stone row recorded as MDE9888 was mistakenly considered to be a hut circle, resulting in this record, as the feature is in a similar location. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. 113.
- <3> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited. 194.
- <4> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 5 September 1974.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 April 1994.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35260, Extant 19 May 2021.
- <7>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #47222 ]
- <8> SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <9> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 19 May 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7518 4381 (10m by 12m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35260 (Pastscape entry: 35260)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SE/10
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12272
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20346
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE19
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35260
Record last edited
May 19 2021 9:37AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.