MDE1263 - Hut Circle or Natural Outcrop on Cheriton Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
(SS 75204382) Hut Circle (NR) (1) Cheriton Ridge SS 75204388 shown as hut circle on Ordnance Survey but Whybrow suggests it is probably a natural outcrop. (2) SS 75204389. A cairn according to Whybrow; not found by Grinsell in 1969. (a) Neither a hut circle nor any natural outcrop could be found in this vicinity. The published entry would seem to be spurious. (3) There is no trace of a hut circle in the area of the NGRs. (4)
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 6" 1962.
- <2> SMO5362 Serial: Devon Archaeological Society. 1929+. Devon Archaeological Society Proceedings.
- <3> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited.
- <4> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 NVQ 05-SEP-74.
- <6> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Wilson-North W R 26-APR-1994 RCHME Field Investigation..
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7520 4385 (0m by 60m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35260 (Pastscape entry: 35260)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 74 SE 20
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE19
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35260
Record last edited
Nov 29 2010 2:35PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.