MSO10385 - Post-medieval or 20th Century quarries north of Tom's Hill deserted farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two irregular quarried, faceless depressions with spoil mounds. The one to the west is c. 2.5 metres deep. The one to the east is c. 1.5 metres deep and both are cut into the hill slope.  A quarry with associated spoil heaps, of probable post-medieval or 20th Century date is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork, approximately 175 metres to the northeast of Tom's Hill Farm at circa SS 8131 4325. The quarry consists of two irregularly shaped shallow pits up to ten metres in diameter connected by a shallow scoop, with spoil heaps circa 15 metres long visible along their southern sides. The quarries are not marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and may therefore post date its publication date of 1889. The earthworks appear a little lower on aerial photographs of 1977 and may have been damaged by modern agricultural improvement. [2-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO91 Unassigned: 23/06/05. CRAAGS.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 3061-2 (8 November 1952).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR ENPA MAL 77013 079-80 (20 May 1977).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #47379 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478415, Extant 14 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8131 4325 (41m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2542
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW291
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478415
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18793
Record last edited
Jul 14 2021 9:41AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.