MSO10384 - Post-medieval quarry east of Tom's Hill Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A faceless, scoop shaped quarried depression is cut into the hill slope, c.120 metres eastnortheast of the Tom's Hill deserted farm site ruins. It is c.2 metres deep.  A quarry is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork approximately 75 metres eastnortheast of Tom's Hill Farm (c.120 metres from the farmhouse) centred at circa SS 8125 4308. The quarry consists of an irregularly shaped pit up to 20 metres across at its widest point, with a narrow entrance gulley visible on the southwest face. It is not possible to ascertain the function of the quarry from the aerial photographs alone. The date of the earthwork is unclear, but it is annotated as 'Old Quarry' on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and therefore had passed out of use prior to its publication in 1889. [2-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO92 Unassigned: Committee for Rescue Archaeology in Avon, Gloucestershire and Somerset. 1982. [No title]. 23 June 1982.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540-931 (F20) 3062-3 (8 November 1952).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <4>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #38221 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1478469, Extant 14 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8125 4308 (25m by 25m) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1478469 (Pastscape entry: 1478469)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2547
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW296
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1478469
- Somerset SMR PRN: 18792
Record last edited
Jul 14 2021 9:45AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.