MSO10175 - 19th Century quarry west of Larkbarrow Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A large gravel quarry, at SS 8183 4281, lies in rough grassland 100 metres to the northeast of Larkbarrow Cottage, at about 395 metres above Ordnance Datum. This oval feature is 27.2 metres long and 26 metres wide with an entrance on its southwest side. A substantial spoil heap standing over 1 metre high lies to the southwest. The quarry most probably dates from the mid 19th Century and would have provided a convenient supply of gravel for the construction of the farm buildings and boundary walls.  The quarry was recorded at 1:2500 scale using differential GPS as part of an archaeological survey of the Larkbarrow area. The survey was undertaken by the Exeter office of English Heritage at the request of the Exmoor National Park Authority. A client report was produced as part of the work and is available from the NMRC, Swindon.  The quarry is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards and has been transcribed as part of the Exmoor National Mapping Programme Survey. [4-6] The site is marked as a gravel pit on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7314 Unpublished document: JAMIESON, EJ. Field Investigators Comments. English Heritage Field Investigation, 2001.
- <2> SEM4 Report: Jamieson, E.. 2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor, Somerset.
- <3> SEM7171 Aerial photograph: Griffith, F.. 1980s-1990s. Oblique aerial photographs of the Devon part of Exmoor National Park. DAP LD22, 23, LF15, 16 (10 January 1989).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 3106 (8 November 1952).
- <5> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8142/3 (15608/21) (14 January 1997).
- <6>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #38213 ]
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1344421, Extant 14 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8182 4281 (29m by 36m) Aerial survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1344421 (Original Monarch entry: 1344421)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1238
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW181
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1344421
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15241
Record last edited
Jul 14 2021 2:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.