MMO2361 - 19th Century drainage ditches south of Little Toms Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Several post medieval, probably 19th Century drainage ditches are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks on moorland south of Little Toms Hill, Exmoor. The largest two ditches are centred at approximately SS 7978 4271, the ditches run roughly east to west, apparently channelling water to the un-named stream between East and West Pinford. The southernmost of the two measures approximately 340 metres long, while the northernmost ditch measures 540 metres in length. They are similar in size and form to those seen on the opposite side of the stream at West Pinford, and were probably constructed around the same time. Two shorter curvilinear ditches visible approximately 60 metres to the southwest are probably part of the same system. The ditches most likely date to the mid 19th Century and were part of the Knight family's attempt to improve the land for farming. According to Orwin, many miles of drainage ditches were cut across Exmoor, but failed to provide adequate drainage for the land to be enclosed. [1-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 3110-11 (8 November 1952).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF/543-2821 (F65) 0165-6 (27 April 1964).
- <3> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. pp 32-33.
- <4>XY SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183. [Mapped feature: #32961 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1475953, Extant 9 June 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7988 4268 (348m by 207m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1475953 (Pastscape entry: 1475953)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE210
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1475953
Record last edited
Sep 29 2021 12:56PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.