MEM24827 - St Petrock's Churchyard, Timberscombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
[SS 9559 4205] St. Petrock's Church [NAT]  St. Petrock's Church, formerly St. Michael's is in normal use. There must have been an earlier church on the site of the present one, which is predominantly 15th century. [2-5] Graveyard in use since at least medieval times.  The churchyard is visible on 2018 MasterMap data.  A watching brief was undertaken in 2019 during the installation of new drainage and facilities in St Petrock's Churchyard. The excavations revealed a number of burials, dating to the medieval and early post-medival periods (supine and apparently without coffins), and several later post-medieval burials with coffins, one of which included a fragmentary creamware plate on its lid. The foundation for the existing boundary wall was also examined and was suggested to be of 18th Century date. 
- <1> SEM7603 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1928-1938. 6 Inch Map: 1928-1938, 3rd Edition. 1:10560. 1938.
- <2> SEM7708 Unassigned: Hancock, F.. 1902. REV Object Name Book. 25.
- <3> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. 323.
- <4> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 26 May 1965.
- <5> SSO727 Monograph: Allen, N.V.. 1974. Churches and Chapels of Exmoor. Exmoor Press. 80-1.
- <6> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. M Aston, 2 December 1976.
- <7>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #46458 ]
- <8> SEM340822 Report: Brigers, J.L.. 2021. The Parish Church of St Petrock, Timberscombe, Somerset: The results of a programme of archaeological monitoring. Prospect Archaeology. pp 10-14, 17.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9558 4205 (72m by 52m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Parent of: Medieval churchyard cross in St Petrock's churchyard, Timberscombe (Building) (MSO12029)
- Parent of: Mesolithic flint from Timberscombe Churchyard (Find Spot) (MSO8304)
- Part of: St Petrock's Church, Timberscombe (Building) (MSO8306)
- Related to: Saxon timber structures at St Petrock's Churchyard (Monument) (MEM25015)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601482
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO8306
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10607
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12158
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE16
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36893
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31081
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35055
Record last edited
Jun 7 2021 10:07AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.