MSO8306 - St Petrock's Church, Timberscombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[SS 9559 4205] St. Petrock's Church [NAT]  St. Petrock's Church, formerly St. Michael's is in normal use. There must have been an earlier church on the site of the present one, which is predominantly 15th century. The tower was rebuilt in 1708 and the main body of the building restored in the late 19th century. [2-5] Parish Church of St. Petrock, Grade I, Church Street (west side). 15th Century, tower 1708, with 19th Century roof. Chancel restored 1862, rest of church restored 1882. Vestry added early 20th Century. (For full description see list.)  Additional bibliography.  Two plaques within the church commemorate brothers Eric and Philip Battersby who were killed in 1914 and 1917 in WWI. The plaques have a decorative border. A rectangular plaque is dedicated to Clifford Merson who was killed in 1916 in WWI. An incised cross breaks the top line of the inscription. The church organ was given in memory of Robert Ryder who was killed in 1917. There is an associated plaque. A wooden wall mounted board records the names of 66 members of the parish who served in WWI and 11 that died. A small crucifix is above the inscription.  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The unblocking of the southern door of the church was subject to archaeological recording in March / June 2019, in order to allow its reinstatement as an access route. The blocking was constructed of concrete block bonded with cement mortar, sealed by a roughcast cement render (coated with whitewash in the church's interior). The lowest courses of the blocking were laid on a lead tray; it is likely the original step was removed at the time of blocking. The 15th Century door jambs and four centred lintol were exposed, and were found to be intact and in good condition.  The Historic England Archive holds a postcard dating to the early 20th Century.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7603 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1903-1949. County Series; 3rd Edition (2nd Revision) 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1938.
- <2> SEM7708 Unassigned: Hancock, F.. 1902. REV Object Name Book. 25.
- <3> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. 323.
- <4> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. 1960s. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 26 May 1965.
- <5> SSO727 Monograph: Allen, N.V.. 1974. Churches and Chapels of Exmoor. Exmoor Press. 80-1.
- <6> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: West Somerset District - Carhampton et al (5 June 1985) 51.
- <7> SEM7229 Monograph: Collinson, J.. 1791 (2006). The History and Antiquities of Somerset. Archive CD Books Ltd. Volume 2, 45.
- <8> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. UKNIWM references 24776-9, 1375.
- <9> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <10> SEM340822 Report: Brigers, J.L.. 2021. The Parish Church of St Petrock, Timberscombe, Somerset: The results of a programme of archaeological monitoring. Prospect Archaeology. p1, 15.
- <11> SEM341142 Photograph: Unknown. 1900-1925. Interior view looking down the nave to the chancel screen in St Petrock's Church. Unknown. Postcard.
- <12> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36893, Extant 17 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9559 4205 (23m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (7)
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.1375 (UKNIWM entry: 1375 (WWI wooden board))
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.24776 (UKNIWM entry: 24776 (RD Ryder; organ))
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.24777 (UKNIWM entry: 24777 (EM Battersby))
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.24778 (UKNWIM entry: 24778 (PW Battersby))
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.24779 (UKNIWM entry: 24779 (C Merson))
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=563 (CHER ID: 601482)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36893 (Pastscape entry: 36893)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/7/94
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601482
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10607
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12158
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE16
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36893
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31081
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35055
Record last edited
May 17 2022 1:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.