MSO12029 - Medieval churchyard cross in St Petrock's churchyard, Timberscombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
14th Century cross adjacent to the porch on the north side of the church. All that remains is one broken step, a square socket and a fragment of the octagonal shaft 4.5 feet high.  This churchyard cross has been restored and stands at SS 9558 4206. The socket stone and greater portion of the shaft are original, the remainder is modern.  Churchyard cross. 14th Century, restored 1896. Granite base, red sandstone socket and base of shaft, extended with crucifix addition in Ham stone. Square base inscribed;'... in memoriam William Baily Whitehead Vicar MDCCCXV - MDCCCLIII', socket and circular shaft continued as octagon with neck band, cavetto moulded and crenellated, surmounted by crucifix in gabled niche.  The socket was mounted on to a concrete base and the remaining 1.3 metre length of shaft was extended with modern stone shaft grafted on to it. The modern base has a dedication to a former Vicar, William Barley Whitehead 1826-1853, inscribed onto it. The base sits on a partially buried brick, rubble and concrete base. It is not known if the cross was re-located in its original location after it was restored.  The structure is shown on 2018 MasterMap data and is labelled "Cross (restored)". 
- <1> SSO1792 Monograph: Pooley, C.. 1877. An historical and descriptive account of the old stone crosses of Somerset. 19.
- <2> SSO1752 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS94SE. 15.
- <3> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Carhampton et al (5 June 1985) 51.
- <4> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch entry - viewable via Pastscape. Reference 36890: English Heritage Alternative Action Report.
- <5>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #41381 ]
|Grid reference||SS 9559 4207 (point)|
|Civil Parish||TIMBERSCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36890 (Original Monarch entry: 36890)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 444/7/95
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10608
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8305
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE15
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36890
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31082
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34851
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 4:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.