MEM23754 - Coombe (or Combe) Farm, Exford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Exford and labelled "Coombe". It consisted of a farmhouse at SS 8532 3918 and three associated buildings, a linear range at SS 8530 3917 and two square buildings at SS 8533 3917 and SS 8531 3917. The site is labelled as land parcel 467, within a much larger open parcel labelled 465 (which also includes the barn numbered 466, recorded as MEM23753). The Apportionment describes 467 as "Coombe Homestead" and 465 as "Green Head piece", both of which were owned and occupied by "William Greenslade Jnr".  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, both of the square buildings described above had been removed and the farmhouse apparently extended to the rear. The linear range at SS 8530 3917 had been greatly extended to the south and a further two outbuildings constructed at SS 8533 3915 and SS 8531 3913. This arrangement is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. It is not clear which of these buildings included the water wheel mentioned in MSO11279, although it is possibly one of the two newer buildings, which both lie near to a water course. [2,3] Since the 2nd Edition may was surveyed, the building at SS 8531 3913 had been demolished and replaced by a much larger structure and several large agricultural buildings have been added to the southeast of the site.  The site was visited as part of the Exmoor Farmsteads survey in February 1997. The house was thought to date to the late 17th Century, with large end stacks. The long range of buildings was noted to be constructed of rubble, forming one side of a wide yard. Two of the buildings that are adjacent to each other are almost identical, with lofts up steps. Across the yard is a low rubble single storied building.  In 1900, the kennels (MEM23755) and a cottage were built at Dinway, up Coombe Lane. They were disbanded at the beginning of World War Two. 
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 465 and 467.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 226.
- <6> SEM8686 Monograph: Hamilton, C.M.. 1953. A history of Exford. N/A. 1st Edition. 35.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8532 3919 (106m by 138m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: 19th Century water meadow at Coombe Farm (Monument) (MMO398)
- Parent of: Early 20th Century kennels west of Coombe Farm (Building) (MEM23755)
- Parent of: Higher Linhay (Monument) (MSO11843)
- Parent of: Post-medieval barn north of Coombe Farmstead (Monument) (MEM23753)
- Parent of: Post-medieval water wheel at Coombe Farm (Monument) (MSO11279)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 226
Record last edited
Aug 14 2019 4:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.