MEM23260 - Cloggs Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Hawkridge as a small group of farm buildings situated in land parcel 133. This was described as "House Court Garden etc" in the accompanying apportionment. These were in the ownership of the Earl of Carnarvon and occupied by John Bawden. At this point, the group included the farmhouse (MSO10791), attached shippon (MEM22419), bank barn (MEM22418) and a large building sitiuated approximately in the position of the present pigsties or calf house (MEM22421). This appears to have been replaced by the more recent structure by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed and the linhay (MEM22420) and possible sheep shelter to the north (MEM22422) had also been constructed by this time. The farmstead has since been subject to small additions and extensions. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. It was said to be beautifully sited, facing south across the flank of a little combe and surrounded by little regular fields. Most farming activities had apparently moved to the north. 
- <1> SSO213 Map: 1841. Hawkridge Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 133.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 200.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8395 3105 (101m by 60m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (7)
- Parent of: 19th Century possible sheep shelters at Cloggs Farm (Building) (MEM22422)
- Parent of: Bank barn at Cloggs Farm (Building) (MEM22418)
- Parent of: Cloggs Farmhouse (Building) (MSO10791)
- Parent of: Linhay at Cloggs Farm (Building) (MEM22420)
- Parent of: Pigsties or calf houses at Cloggs Farm (Building) (MEM22421)
- Parent of: Post-medieval leat and water meadow at Cloggs Farm (Monument) (MMO3164)
- Parent of: Shippon at Cloggs Farm (Building) (MEM22419)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/1): 200
Record last edited
Aug 22 2016 9:08AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.