MEM22418 - Bank barn at Cloggs Farm (Building)

Summary

A bank barn with a loft used to store oats, barley and straw. It contained a water wheel (driven by a leat) and then an oil engine used to drive a threshing machine. The barn is depicted on the 1841 Tithe Map for Hawkridge.

Please read the .

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status

Full Description

The bank barn and stable was recorded by English Heritage in December 1999, at which time the buildings were in agricultural use, principally for sheltering cattle, storing hay and straw and for general storage purposes. It was probably built by the Caernavon Estate in the mid to late 19th Century and is constructed from rubble, with stone quoins and a Welsh slate roof, in an L shaped plan. The farm buildings retain their original form and appearance and the bank barn has numerous fixtures and fittings as well as its original roof structures, which demonstrates good quality estate carpentry techniques. The bank barn is two storeyed and the stable one and a half storeyed. The barn provided accommodation for sheep and cows on the ground floor, with the upper floor being used for processing cereal crops and fodder. It has extensive remains of the power transmission system associated with the water wheel, which was replaced by an oil engine in the 1940s, used to power a threshing machine made by MA Bate & Co, Launceston, Dunheved Iron Works. It also retains a hand winnowing machine. A leat took water from a neighbouring stream to supply water to the water wheel before carrying it through the farmyard and out to the field gutter system. The later oil engine also powered sheep shears and a drive shaft and pulley that drove a circular saw located outside the barn. The stable had three stalls for working horses and a loose box for the trap and riding horse. It also has a loft (or 'tallet') used for storing straw, from which it was dropped through holes in the floor into mangers below for the horses. [1] The bank barn is shown on the Tithe Map for Hawkridge, apparently in its current plan form. It is sited on the boundary of land parcels 132 and 133, described as "Little Meadow" and "House Court Garden etc" in the accompanying apportionment respectively. These were in the ownership of the Earl of Carnarvon and occupied by John Bawden. [2]

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Report: Jones, B.V.. 2000. Historic Buildings Report: Cloggs Farm, Withypool and Hawkridge, Somerset.
  • <2> Map: 1841. Hawkridge Tithe Map and Apportionment.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SS 8398 3105 (17m by 18m)
Map sheet SS83SW
Civil Parish WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Other Statuses/References

  • National Park: Exmoor National Park

Record last edited

Aug 22 2016 11:52AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.