MEM22419 - Post-medieval shippon at Cloggs Farm (Building)

Summary

A shippon and possible linhay, probably built by the Caernavon Estate. The shippon provided shelter for cattle and may have housed the milking parlour. It appears to be depicted on the 1841 Tithe Map for Hawkridge.

Please read the .

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status

Full Description

The shippon was recorded by English Heritage in December 1999, at which time the building was in agricultural use. It was probably built by the Caernavon Estate in the mid to late 19th Century. The shippon retains its original form and appearance and has numerous fixtures and fittings as well as its original roof structures, demonstrating good quality estate carpentry techniques. The shippon provided shelter for cattle and may have served as the milking parlour. It has livestock entrances leading into the fold yard. An extensive loft was used to store fodder, especially hay and straw and an attached loose box was also present in a wing extending towards the house, with the loft above used as a wool store. It seems a single-bay linhay existed between the loose box and the house but this has been walled in, with the ground floor possibly being used as an animal shelter and/or implement shed with hay and straw housed above. The ground floor was later used as a turf store, for domestic fuel. [1,3] The building was visited 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. [2] The shippon appears to be depicted on the Tithe Map for Hawkridge. It is sited within land parcel 133, which is described as "House Court Garden etc" in the accompanying apportionment, in the ownership of the Earl of Carnarvon and occupied by John Bawden.[4]

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Report: Jones, B.V.. 2000. Historic Buildings Report: Cloggs Farm, Withypool and Hawkridge, Somerset.
  • <2> Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
  • <3> Report: Riley, H.. 2014. Turf Cutting on Exmoor: An archaeological and historical study - project report. 24, 25.
  • <4> Map: 1841. Hawkridge Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 133.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SS 8394 3105 (16m by 17m)
Map sheet SS83SW
Civil Parish WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

External Links (0)

Other Statuses/References

  • 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/17/159/2

Record last edited

Apr 19 2021 11:21PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.