MEM23054 - Barton Town Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The farmstead is shown on the Challacombe Tithe Map, although it is not clear how well the present buildings reflect the arrangement of the structures shown on the map.  The farmstead is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition ordnance Survey maps apparently in their current arrangement. [2-4] The farmstead was visited in December 1996. It was described as a very good group, beautifully sited against the lane and below the churchyard from which it can be well seen. The buildings were noted to be from a range of dates, with a seemingly organic growth. It was noted to be "obviously an ancient place".  The farmstead was surveyed by English Heritage in 2000. The farmstead was described as originating as a small scale steading with vernacular buildings erected in the 17th and 18th Centuries, including a cottage (probably the farmhouse) and a barn with integral shippon. The second group of buildings date from the mid 19th Century when the farm increased in building and production scale and these include a large bank barn with shippon, an animal shed hosing pigs and/or calves and a new farmhouse. A horse engine house was added to the bank barn shortly after its construction. The buildings are all formed from stone rubble with slate roofs and are of great interest, due to the historical development of the buildings and the the range of agriculture practiced on the farm represented during the 18th and 19th Centuries, including hand and machine threshing and winnowing, hay, straw and grain storage and cattle and sheep rearing. 
- <1> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 4.
- <6> SEM6884 Report: Jones, B.V.. 2000. Barton Town, Challacombe, Devon.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6799 4055 (60m by 60m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Parent of: 18th Century barn and shippon at Barton Town Farm (Building) (MDE20311)
- Parent of: 19th Century animal shed at Barton Town Farm (Building) (MEM23055)
- Parent of: 19th Century bank barn with horse engine house at Barton Town Farm (Building) (MDE20312)
- Parent of: 19th Century farmhouse at Barton Town Farm (Building) (MEM23057)
- Parent of: 19th Century stables and pigsty at Barton Town Farm (Building) (MEM23056)
- Parent of: Original 17th Century farmhouse at Barton Town Farm (Building) (MDE20313)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (1): 4
Record last edited
Oct 23 2014 10:26AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.