MEM23057 - 19th Century farmhouse at Barton Town Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
It is not clear whether the building is shown on the Challacombe Tithe Map, although the present building appears to have replaced a smaller one in this location.  The farmhouse is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps apparently in its current form. [2-4] A large late 19th Century rendered farmhouse is situated to the east of the farmstead.  The farmstead was surveyed in 1999. A substantial new farmhouse was constructed in the mid 19th Century, representing a considerable improvement in the wealth and status of the farmer and his family. The farmhouse was built on a larger scale than the original one and was provided with an extensive number of rooms comparatively. It has a three bay south facing front with a central entrance porch. It is of two and a half storeys and consists of a main range and a large wing to the rear. The walls are rendered and the roofs are gabled with a covering of Welsh slate. The interior was not seen. 
- <1> SEM7724 Map: 1839. Challacombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 4.
- <6> SEM6884 Report: Jones, B.V.. 2000. Barton Town, Challacombe, Devon. 2-3, 5.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6800 4058 (15m by 16m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 39985
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/182
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20314
Record last edited
Oct 23 2014 10:25AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.