MEM23055 - 19th Century animal shed at Barton Town Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Shippon mid to late C19. Rubble stone with some brick dressings and cob. Scantle slate roofs with clay ridge tiles hipped to left end, gable ended to right. Single storey shippon at right angles to front right end of barn forming overall L-shape. Shippon has square opening to left of 2 plank doors with straight-headed brick arches.  The building was not assessed during the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13.  The animal shed was probably added to the barn to the south in the mid 19th Century. It is one and a half storeys tall with a gabled roof. The window and door openings have segmental brick arches. An internal division in the building is formed by a full height rubble crosswall, forming a larger room to the south and a smaller one to the north, which are both accessed through doors to the yard to the east. The northern room originally had a storage loft and has a floor paved using stone rubble and brick, which is sloped to drain into the yard. The building was used as a dairy during the mid 20th Century. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Challacombe (18 March 1986) 47.
- <2> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <3> SEM6884 Report: Jones, B.V.. 2000. Barton Town, Challacombe, Devon. 2, 4, 7-8.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6798 4054 (12m by 10m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (Not visited): 1615/2/73
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 39982
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/182/3
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MDE20311
Record last edited
Oct 23 2014 10:25AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.