MDE21883 - West Ilkerton Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
West Ilkerton Farmhouse and the attached wall are dated to the early 17th century. Much of the farmhouse was reconstructed and extended in the 19th and 20th centuries. The building is rubble or rendered rubble, with a slate roof and stone stacks. The plan is three room cross passage, formerly with the house at the northeast end, an attached byre to the west; the byre is now part of the domestic premises, including a 20th century bay at the outer end. Attached to the outer gable is a rubble wall approximately 2.1 metres high and extending approximately 8 metres across the yard to a plain stopped end. The yard is mainly cobbled; the range of buildings (not included in the listing) to the south has been converted to domestic use. Although much altered in the 19th century, this building has retained important elements of its early fabric. The plan form and position of the cross passage indicates that this building originated as a longhouse type of dwelling, one of a number that survive on the fringes of Exmoor.  The Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth shows the farmhouse with a range of buildings adjoining the southwest corner of the southern elevation, running to the southeast. These buildings were demolished by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was published but this would appear to have formed the boundary wall mentioned in the listing description. [2,3] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The house was described as "obviously ancient and interesting", situated across the site's contours and facing the cobbled yard.  The buildings were visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. The house received a BAR score of 6 and the wall a score of 5A. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . 1995, Lynton and Lynmouth..
- <2> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 132.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7041 4662 (24m by 29m) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 858/1/2/98/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 858/1/2/98/1
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 71698
Record last edited
Jun 4 2021 12:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.