MEM23167 - West Ilkerton Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Lynton and Lynmouth Tithe Map. This includes the farmhouse (MDE21883) with a linear range opposite to its south. The (listed) wall to the west of the yard appears to be the remains of further outbuildings that were situated in this location, which had been removed by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. It is not clear whether the existing building at SS 7041 4660 incorporates the early range (with the eastern end demolished) or if this was demolished and the new range constructed, but the latter is depicted in its present configuration on the 1st Edition map. A further small outbuilding had also been constructed at SS 7042 4655 by this time. This configuration was repeated on the 2nd Edition map and since this date, two further large agricultural buildings have been constructed to the south of the site, necessitating the removal of the small outbuilding. [1-4] The farmstead was visited in January 1997. The yard was said to include a complete cobbled surface, with a range of late 19th Century buildings facing and parallel to the house, converted to form holiday accommodation. The yard itself is no longer used for farming, which is focused away from the site. 
- <1> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 132.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7042 4660 (79m by 110m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2/3): 132
Record last edited
Dec 15 2014 5:12PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.