MDE20876 - Ilkerton Settlement (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Ilkerton, or Hilcrinton, was Incrintona in Domesday. It was included in Lynton (Lintona), and was held by William Capra. Before the conquest it was held by Algar. Early descents of the manor are given.  The settlement of Ilkerton was mentioned as 'Incrintona' in 1086, 'Hilcrinton' in 1242, 'Ilcrynton' in 1346 & 'Hylkeryngton' in 1379.  This is labelled as 'East Ilkerton' on the Lynton Tithe Map and 1st Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [5,6]
- <1> SDE59335 Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928-1938. Hundreds of Devon: The Hundred of Shirwell in Early Times. 466,492.
- <2> SDE1312 Monograph: Gover, J. E. B., Mawer, A. and Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. 64.
- <3> SEM7486 Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. Collins. 430.
- <4> SEM6857 Report: Berry, N.. 2003. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of West Lyn Farm, Lynton, Devon. 5.
- <5> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 711 469 (224m by 382m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 19131
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/83
Record last edited
Jun 25 2018 11:40AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.