MDE21357 - Post-medieval boundary stone south of The Glass Box (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Boundary stone southwest of Trentishoe Barrows. Boundary stone. Post-medieval. Slate. 0.78m high, 0.66m wide and 0.13m thick. Inscribed on west face with letters CM and on east face TM. The north side of the stone has a sawn edge. The stone marks the boundary between the parishes and manors of combe martin and trentishoe. The stone is one of the better preserved in a group of similar markers sited along the parish boundary. [1-4] The stone is one of five boundary stones along a 500m stretch of parish boundary between SS 6252 4738 to SS 6268 4782.  Grinsell cites Westcote to suggest that one of the boundary stones in this stretch was known as Hangmanstone in the 17th Century. [6,7] A site visit in December 1985 confirmed that of 14 boundary stones recorded from the Ordnance Survey map, 10 survived in the field (of which 9 bore inscriptions), 2 were not located and 2 not visited.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A.  This stone was visible on the 1843 Combe Martin Tithe map.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Trentishoe (9 April 1987) 80.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905.
- <3> SMO4808 Technical drawing: Sainsbury, I. and Wilson-North, R.. 1993. Trentishoe, SS 64 NW 4, 7, 15, 31, 32, 33, 37/ink survey . 1:2500. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 8 July 1993.
- <5> SEM8676 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Devon County Council staff comments. SC Timms, 3 December 1982 (Devon CC).
- <6> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. L Grinsell, 21 November 1982 (letter).
- <7> SDE65430 Monograph: Westcote, T.. 1845. A View of Devonshire in MDCXXX, with a pedigree of most of its gentry. Will. Roberts. 251-2.
- <8> SEM6970 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1986. Archaeological survey on Exmoor 1985/86: Trentishoe Down; a summary report. Site 275-287, 290.
- <9> SDE65638 Map: 1843. Combe Martin Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <9> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 872936, Extant 8 November 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 6261 4767 (point)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (11)
- Related to: Post-medieval boundary stone east of Heatherdown Cottage (Monument) (MDE21361)
- Related to: Post-medieval boundary stone east of Moorland View (Monument) (MDE21355)
- Related to: Post-medieval boundary stone east of The Glass Box (Monument) (MDE21359)
- Related to: Post-medieval boundary stone north of Trentishoe Road (Monument) (MDE21363)
- Related to: Post-medieval boundary stone north of Trentishoe Road (Monument) (MDE21365)
- Related to: Post-medieval boundary stone north of Trentishoe Road (Monument) (MEM22753)
- Related to: Post-medieval boundary stone north of Trentishoe Road (Monument) (MEM22754)
- Related to: Post-medieval boundary stone northeast of Wolverson (Monument) (MDE21353)
- Related to: Post-medieval boundary stone northwest of Trentishoe Down (Monument) (MDE21313)
- Related to: Post-medieval boundary stone northwest of Trentishoe Down (Monument) (MDE21315)
- Related to: Post-medieval boundary stone on northwest side of Trentishoe Down (Monument) (MDE21311)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: 1993: SV - RCHME Field Investigation on SS 64 NW37 (EMO5903)
- Event - Survey: 1993-1996: TS - West Exmoor Project (EMO6590)
- Event - Survey: 2012-3: SV - Listed Buildings Condition Survey (EEM14564)
- Event - Survey: 2014: DBA - Exmoor Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey (EEM14294)
External Links (3)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=872936 (Original Monarch entry: 872936)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA107775 (National Trust HER entry: MNA107775)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA107776 (National Trust HER entry: MNA107776)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1544/2/140
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 19513
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 19514
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 41724
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 41725
- Devon SMR Monument ID: MDE21358
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/44
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/44/1
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/76
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/76/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20886
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20887
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE9006
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW37
- National Trust HER Record: MNA107775
- National Trust HER Record: MNA107776
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 872936
Record last edited
Nov 8 2021 4:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.