MDE20413 - Croscombe Barton Farm, Lynton (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Crosscombe is a medieval farmstead of which records exist at least as early as 1428.  Croscombe Barton Farm has a farm house that dates to the mid 19th Century. The listed building descriptions describe a bank barn, cow house, pigsty, stable and the farmhouse itself. The outbuildings date to the 18th Century and were remodelled in the mid 19th Century, presumably when the farmhouse was built. They are of rubble with slate roofs. One of the outbuildings is disused corn mill (MDE11208). All are Grade II listed.  The Tithe Map for Martinhoe shows the farmstead arranged in a roughly rectangular enclosed farmyard, with an L shaped building separate and to the northeast at SS 6833 4794. The Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth shows no buildings had been constructed on this side of the Parish Boundary at this time. [3,4] By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been surveyed, the L shaped building mentioned above had been removed, as had the eastern side of the farm buildings arranged around the yard, to make way for the new farmhouse at SS 6833 4792. However, further buildings had been constructed to the south of the original farmstead, which join to the southern end of the original buildings in two locations. Another further outbuilding was constructed at SS 6834 4794. The farmstead seems to have been maintained in this formation until the present day. [5-7] The farmstead was visited in January 1997 and was described as a prosperous 19th Century model set up. The house was described as a 19th Century rubble built structure with segmental rubble arches to its openings. The farm buildings were said to be coeval and very good,includin two substantial structures. They are built of rubble with slate roofs and brick segmental arches, with some original cast iron window frames. The main yard was said to be excellent with real architectural quality.  The buildings were visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6795 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F.. 1906. The Parishes of Lynton and Countisbury. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 38. 114-224. 162-3.
- <2> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . North Devon District, 25 November 1993.
- <3> SEM7573 Map: 1842. Martinhoe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #42165 ]
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <8> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 137.
- <9> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <10> SEM340865 Archive: Unknown. Unknown. Croscombe Barton, Martinhoe.
- <11> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 546144, Extant 1 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6833 4791 (102m by 89m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=546144 (Original Monarch entry: 546144)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1544/3/10003/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1544/3/10003/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1544/3/10003/3
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1544/3/10003/4
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1544/3/10004
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (Not visited): 858/1/1/1
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 15280
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/31
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 137
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE8171
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE82
- NBR Index Number: 88444
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 546144
Record last edited
Nov 1 2021 10:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.