MMO1802 - Post-medieval water meadow northeast of Croscombe Barton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater system, is visible as a series of earthworks to the northeast of Croscombe Barton. Centred at SS 6847 4821, at least four gutters are visible stretching across two fields on a fairly steep southeast facing slope. The gutters vary in length from 110 to 320 metres, and none are wider than 1 metre. A single gutter runs from SS 6852 4832 from approximatel 300 metres; this may be the main gutter, usually known as the headmain, which brough water to this system. Catchwater systems used a series of approximately parallel gutters to distribute flowing water evenly over the surface of the meadow in order to encourage early growth in spring and prevent the ground freezing in winter. This system appears to have been connected to the farmyard at Croscombe Barton, suggesting that this was an integrated system, which in addition to water also distributed liquid manure as fertiliser across the field. Most catchwater systems are believed to date to the post-medieval period, although it is possible that they were first developed in the medieval period. [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4365 (13 May 1946).
- <2> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <3>XY SMO7555 Archive: Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme: SS 64 NE. MD002172. [Mapped feature: #35209 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1462738, Extant 2 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6853 4826 (402m by 655m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1462738 (Pastscape entry: 1462738)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE90
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1462738
Record last edited
Nov 2 2021 1:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.