Listed Building: FARM BUILDINGS AT CROSCOMBE BARTON (THAT PART IN MARTINHOE CP)
1544, 3, 10003
25 November 1993
Date last amended
The following buildings shall be added:-
MARTINHOE SS 64 NE 1544-/3/10003 FARM BUILDINGS AT CROSCOMBE BARTON (that part in Martinhoe C.P.) GV II See also under Lynton C.P. Part of a large group of farmbuildings. C18, remodelled and extended in mid C19. Rubble with slate roofs. PLAN: A complex group, arranged around 2 courtyards on the side adjoining the farmhouse (qv), and with 2 further yards on the far side (to the SW); the complex is divided by the stream, which is impounded to the SW and taken by pipe-line to serve the water-wheel in the centre of the group. The buildings in Martinhoe parish are of the C18 and of one storey, but with part of a 2-storey section of the later barns range running along the "spine" of the waterway. The buildings form 3 sides of a yard, open at the farmhouse end. EXTERIOR: That furthest from the house is an open-fronted cowhouse, with 5 segmental arches to narrow stone voussoirs on plain flush piers; the rear is plain except for one doorway. Returning at right angles to this range is a stable and pigsties with, at the outer corner, a small living unit with a large square external stack to a coped gable. The courtyard front has two stable doors and 2 single lights at the left-hand end, with 3 low square doors to the right. The end gable is linked to the gable-end of the farmhouse (qv) by a rubble wall with gate. The opposite range has one large plank doorway with plank overlight, a second doorway and two 2-light openings. Beyond the cowhouse is a low-lying stockyard, enclosed by a rubble wall, and enclosed to the SE by the barn range, with 2 small 2-light openings at the eaves and 3 shallow lights and a wide doorway to ground level. INTERIOR: The high barn has floor joists, but the boards have been removed. A 300mm diameter iron pipe runs just below upper floor level, and discharges to the cast-iron overshot waterwheel, which is approx 4m in diameter and 1.4m wide; a Barnstaple has been identified, and a few of the wooden -blades have survived (see also Lynton C.P.). The living unit, probably for accommodation of temporary workers, is a square room with large open fireplace to stone voussoirs. Collar-rafter roofs. Part of a remarkable planned group of mostly mid 19th century farmbuildings. The farmhouse (qv), lies to the NE.
Listing NGR: SS6831447905