MDE11920 - St Brendan's Church and Churchyard (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
St Brendan's Church is centred at SS 75004773. It was built in the 18th century with substantial alterations in the 19th century. It is still in use. An earlier foundation with the same dedication in the nearby village of Cheriton is now marked only by an earthwork platform.  The 12th century font (presumably removed from Cheriton Church) forms a link between the scalloped fonts and the square, plain fonts. Probably mid to late 12th Century. It is made of a local North Devon grit stone, grey and fine-grained. It has a cylindrical shaft, a square base with a sloping chamfer on an octagonal plinth. On the sides of the bowl is a flat arrangement of curves at the centre of each side.  Parish church of St. Brendon. Nave, chancel and south porch of 1738, tower rebuilt 1828; the whole restored and north aisle, north transept and vestry added in 1873. Dressed and roughly dressed stone with some brick dressings to vestry, the 19th Century work snecked, with ashlar dressings. Slate roof, graded over porch and nave. The font is 12th Century on an octagonal step, with chamfered square base, circular stem and scalloped square bowl. It has a 19th Century ironbound wooden cover.  A slate sundial at the church is dated 1707. It was probably relocated from another site.  Parish church of St Brendon, a 6th Century Irish saint. Almost totally rebuilt in 1873 when north aisle and north transept added. Norman font. 18th Century.  Said to be rebuilt in 1728 from materials brought over from Cheriton. The tower was rebuilt or renovated in 1828 and superficially of Devon type but with post-Gothic details. The font is square and Norman with curved lines towards the bottom of the bowl, a diagrammatical interpretation of the scallops of such fonts as Ilfracombe. There also is a small circular 12th Century stoup(?) and a sundial dated 1707.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  A two light stained glass window featuring St Alban and St Martin is dedicated to Lieutenant Alfred Schuster, 4th (Queens Own) Hussars, who was killed in action near Ypres on 20th November 1914. A gravestone in the churchyard also includes a dedication to Frederick Charles John Beesley, RWR, who was killed in action in 1918 and buried in France. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 November 1993.
- <2> SMO5393 Serial: Devonshire Association. 1862 -. Devonshire Association reports and transactions. Volume 53 (1921) The baptismal fonts of Devon, 226-7 (KM Clarke).
- <3> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Brendon (24 November 1988) 5-6.
- <4> SDE273904 Article in serial: Crowley, J.. 1957. Sundials in North Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 89. 184.
- <5> SEM7486 Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. Collins.
- <6> SMO4764 Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1999. The Buildings of England: Devon. Penguin Books. 2nd Edition. 210.
- <7> SDE870 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F.. 1910. Christianity in Devon before AD 909. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 42. 490.
- <8> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <9> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. Reference: 25521 (Schuster), 10530 (Beesley).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7501 4773 (75m by 68m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (4)
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.10530 (UKNIWM reference: 10530 (WWI grave - Beesley))
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.25521 (UKNIWM reference: 25521 (WWI window - Schuster))
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=5274 (CHER ID: 615470)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1001590 (Pastscape entry: 1001590)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1549/4/5
- Church Heritage Record ID: 615470
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 664
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 665
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 666
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/507
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/507/1
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/507/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20029
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20030
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20031
- Land in Ecclesiastical use
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE17
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1001590
Record last edited
Jan 30 2017 1:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.