MDE1243 - St Brendan's Church, Cheriton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 73814676) St Brendan's Church (Site of) (NR) (No information in ONB).  The field which contains the Ordnance Survey siting for the church has been regularly ploughed but nothing has been found. [2,3] The modern St Brendan's Church (MDE11920) was rebuilt in 1738 and there is a local tradition that the building stone was gained from this church.  At SS 73795 46762 in a small pasture field 50 metres north of Higher Cheriton farm is a turf-covered platform about 10 metres north to south by 8 metres. It is 0.5 metres high at its southern end and fades away to ground level at the northern end where it has been ploughed away. This platform occupies the position of the siting symbol for St Brendan's Church shown on the 1888 map  and, although nothing else apart from the platform was identified during investigation, this presumably marks the site of the church.  The church lies in a roughly rectangular field of rough pasture about 1.219 metres to 1.524 metres above the level of the adjacent fields and track. In the centre a raised area marks the site of the church itself. Part of the avenue of trees leading to the church survives in the field to the south.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 4.  The Brendon Tithe Map labels this field as Cheriton Church yard. It was Glebe land at this time, under the care of the Reverend Thomas Roe, who lived at the Parsonage to the northeast (now Brendon Manor Farm, MEM23154).  The site was surveyed in June 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 0. 
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1890.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Mr Harding, "Scarsdale", Brendon.
- <3> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 9 September 1974.
- <4> SMO4764 Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1999. The Buildings of England: Devon. Penguin Books. 2nd Edition. 210.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888, Devon Sheet 7(2).
- <6> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 25 October 1993.
- <7> SEM7773 Index: Ministry of Works. 1968. List of Ancient Monuments.
- <7> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Brendon (24 Nov 1988) 5-6.
- <8> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7346b.
- <9> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. MAM/13/025 (May 1977).
- <10> SMO4865 Survey: St Brendan's Church/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Paper. Pen and Ink.
- <11> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <12> SEM7949 Map: 1841. Brendon Tithe Map and Apportionment. Parcel 85.
- <13> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 73809 46762 (54m by 61m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35167 (Original Monarch entry: 35167)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NW/1
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 689
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20054
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW10
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35167
Record last edited
Jan 20 2021 1:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.