MEM23154 - Brendon Manor Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Brendon Tithe Map shows the main house with a small outbuilding to its rear. It is labelled 'Parsonage' and the accompanying Apportionment states the land was Glebe, with the Reverend Thomas Roe resident. He served St Brendan's Church (MDE11920) to the northeast of the site. A small outbuilding is also shown to the northeast of the main house, at c. SS 7449 4704.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows the house extended slightly to the north, now forming its present layout. The small outbuilding to the northeast had also been extended and two further small outbuildings had been constructed in its vicinity. The house at this time was labelled 'Rectory'; however, by the time the 2nd Edition may was surveyed, it was now labelled 'Manor House'. [2,3] Since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the farmstead has been extended to the north. The main house has now been split into several properties, including 'The Dairy', 'Rose Tree Cottage' and 'The Wool House'.  The farmstead was seen from a distance in January 1997. The house was described as being built across the contours, with a high, late 19th Century extension outwards at a right angle. It had recently been subject to alterations. A farm building parallel to the house was also noted. 
- <1> SEM7949 Map: 1841. Brendon Tithe Map and Apportionment. Parcels 306, 324.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 119.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7447 4701 (59m by 98m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 119
Record last edited
Jan 20 2021 1:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.