MDE10861 - Strip Fields South of Parracombe Village (Monument)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A system of medieval strip fields extends around medieval settlement remains (NMR monument 909923, SS 64 SE 38) to the south of Parracombe village. The fields are defined by curving parallel lynchets and are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs but some have been levelled or virtually levelled. The relict fields were probably part of a number of communal systems of strip fields around the different foci of settlement at Parracombe (see MMO308). The strip fields described in this record extend over an area measuring up to 940 metres North-South by 730 metres East-West between Ley's Lane, Holwell Castle, Holwell Wood and seem to stop at the combes just before the land rises steeply to Rowley Down, and a knoll, to the south and south east of Parracombe. The whole system is centred at SS 6963 4067 and covers an area bounded by the following grid references: SS 6682 4458, SS 6709 4445, SS 6721 4403, SS 6689 4363, SS 6656 4383, SS 6649 4407, and SS 6654 4429. (1-2) A fragmentary system of strip lynchets, covering some 8 hectares, is visible on air photographs (3), centred at SS 668444 to the south of Parracombe village. Most of the system lies within cultivated or improved land and a cursory examination revealed only traces of the lynchets surviving as earthworks. (4) A rapid examination of air photography shows the earthworks of these strip lynchets in an area bounded by SS 665 439, SS 670 438, SS 671 444 and SS 667 446, south of Parracombe. The strip lynchets may be associated with a settlement site SS 64 SE 38. (5)
- --- SEM7656 Unassigned: Miller, A.. 1995. AP Primary Recording Project. 07/12/1995.
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Helen Winton. 20/12/1999. RCHME. Photographers Comment.
- <2> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. P 116-119; Fig. 4.30.
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK.1501.F/20 4303. 14/05/1946.
- <4> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Wilson-North W.R. 1/10/1993.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR, SS 6644/1/5-6, SS 6644/2/7-8, SS 6644/3/9-10, SS 6644/6/201-204, SS 6644/8, 14.
- <7> SDE64228 Aerial photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1989. LC 9-13. Devon Aerial Photograph.
- <8> SMO7527 Archive: RCHME: Parracombe Project, Devon. AF1301153.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 668 441 (807m by 947m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1505784 (Pastscape entry: 1505784)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909919 (Pastscape entry: 909919)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60716
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/197
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21707
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO3791
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE37
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1505784
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 909919
Record last edited
May 1 2019 10:20AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.