MMO3792 - Medieval field system southwest of Parracombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A system of medieval strip fields extends to the southwest of Parracombe village. The fields are defined by curving parallel lynchets and are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs but some may have been levelled or virtually levelled. The field system extends over an area measuring up to 780 metres north to south by 785 metres east to west between East Hill, Rowley Cross, Ley's Lane and the edge of Parracombe village. The field system is centred at SS 6632 4463 and extends over an area within the following grid references: SS 6596 4501, SS 6633 4494, SS 6661 4471, SS 6626 4414, SS 6601 4427 and SS 6611 4472. The fields form part of an extensive system of fields around what appear to be multiple foci of settlement in and around Parracombe (see MDE10861). [1-3]
- <1> SMO7042 Unpublished document: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. RCHME: Parracombe, West Exmoor, 20 December 1999.
- <2> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
- <3>XY SMO7527 Archive: RCHME: Parracombe Project, Devon. AF1301153. [Mapped features: #34747 ; #34748 ; #34749 ; #34750 ; #34751 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6629 4458 (629m by 890m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1505794 (Pastscape entry: 1505794)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE158
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1505794
Record last edited
May 1 2019 10:25AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.