MMO3794 - Medieval field system north, east and west of Bodley (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A system of medieval strip fields extends to the north, east and west of Bodley, by Parracombe. The fields are defined by curving parallel lynchets and are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs but some may have been levelled or virtually levelled. The field system appears to extend discontinuously over an area measuring up to 1550 metres east to west by up to 525 metres north to south between Parracombe Lane, the River Haddon, Higher Bodley and Gratton Lane. The fields are centred at SS 6639 4534 and extend over an area defined by the following grid references: SS 6559 4567, SS 6595 4569, SS 6659 4545, SS 6696 4555, SS 6705 4513, SS 6672 4510 and SS 6590 4522. The fields form part of an extensive system of fields around what appear to be multiple foci of settlement in and around Parracombe (see MDE10861). [1-3]
- <1> SMO7042 Unpublished document: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. RCHME: Parracombe, West Exmoor, 20 December 1999.
- <2> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. pp 116-119; Fig. 4.30.
- <3>XY SMO7527 Archive: 1999. RCHME: Parracombe Project, Devon. AF1301153. [Mapped features: #34753 ; #34754 ; #34755 ; #34756 ; #34757 ; #34758 ; #34759 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6636 4540 (1555m by 637m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1505822 (Pastscape entry: 1505822)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE124
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1505822
Record last edited
Sep 30 2020 10:11AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.