MMO3793 - Possible medieval field system southeast of Parracombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The scattered remains of possible medieval strip fields are visible to the east of Parracombe village. Five areas with parallel lynchets are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs but some may have been levelled or virtually levelled. They are centred SS 6749 4436, SS 6720 4456, SS 6759 4423, SS 6780 4414 and SS 6759 4443. It is not clear if these represent the fragments of a continuous field system similar to those found to the south and north of Parracombe and which possibly relate to multiple foci of settlement (see MDE10861). [1-3] This record was enhanced as part of the pilot project for the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer. [4,5]
- <1> SMO7042 Unpublished document: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. 20 December 1999, RCHME: Parracombe, West Devon.
- <2> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage. p 116-119; Fig. 4.30.
- <3> SMO7527 Archive: Winton, H.. 1999. RCHME: Parracombe Project, Devon. AF1301153.
- <4> SEM8323 Archive: Historic England. 2016. NRHE to HER prototype website test. 1505805.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1505805, Extant 25 July 2016.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6758 4436 (905m by 546m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1505805 (Pastscape entry: 1505805)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE159
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1505805
Record last edited
May 5 2021 4:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.