MSO7476 - Langham Hill Pit (Monument)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (7)
- IRONSTONE MINE (AD 19th Century - 1839 AD to 1884 AD (Throughout))
- PUMP HOUSE (AD 19th Century - 1839 AD to 1884 AD (Throughout))
- WINDER HOUSE (AD 19th Century - 1839 AD to 1884 AD (Throughout))
- WINDING ENGINE (AD 19th Century - 1839 AD to 1884 AD (Throughout))
- ENGINE HOUSE (AD 19th Century - 1839 AD to 1884 AD (Throughout))
- CHIMNEY (AD 19th Century - 1839 AD to 1884 AD (Throughout))
- BOILER HOUSE (AD 19th Century - 1839 AD to 1884 AD (Throughout))
'Langham Hill pit, disused', 'Old Shaft' and 'Old Quarry' are marked on the 6 inch map of 1962.  It was one of the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company works and was started in 1839 when it was originally called 'Goosemoor Mine'. A pumping and winding engine and engine house were installed in 1866 and connected to the earlier zig-zag adit and the new number two adit. A level was cut to take over Smallcombe Bottom pit. A railway siding was built, by the Ebbw Vale Company, from the main West Somerset Railway line near the Luxborough Road station. The branch crossed the main road by an unprotected railway crossing. There was also an aerial ropeway from Kennesome Mine.  Located at SS9772 3560 is an area of disturbed ground associated with the disused ironstone mine of Langham Hill Pit. The features were visible as earthworks and mapped from aerial photographs.  There are excavated foundations and low-level, above-ground, masonry remnants of the former Engine House.  Reduced demand due to cheaper imports of Spanish ore caused the mine close in 1874. It reopened in 1876 but little mine development took place and subsequent ore production may have used existing stocks. Mining at Langham Hill pit finished between August 1882 and September 1883, along with all mining on the Brendons. James Harvey Insole purchased the Chargot estate, upon which the mine stands, in 1875. Following the surrender of the lease by the Ebbw Vale Mining Company he required the Company to return the land to its former condition. This resulted in all mine buildings at Langham Hill, Smoky Bottom and Bearland Wood being demolished and the ruins being covered with spoil heap material and grassed over. As the Langham Hill Pit engine house was not of the typical Cornish type, excavations began in 1995 with the aim of understanding the building and mine mechanisms.  The Langham Hill drift, sunk in 1866, replaced the portable engine and the horse-whim powered incline.  The remains of the engine house were partly quarried away in 1986. The remaing walling is substantial, revealing large bolts, a possible boiler base and a brick-lined flue.  After it was abandoned, the mine spoil heaps were used to entomb the mine buildings, at the request of the landowner. The engine house which stood beside the shaft head has recently been excavated. It stands at SS 9775 3561. It now survives as a combination of wall footings and walls standing to 2 metres high.  The site was visited by the West Somerset Mineral Line Association in October 2013. A cast iron crank, which had been unearthed during the excavations mentioned above and probably dating from the first installation of the beam engine at the site, was noted to have been removed from its display mountings. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. SS93NE.
- <2> SMO5787 Monograph: Sellick, R.. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway and the Story of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines. David and Charles Limited. Second. 13, 39 ,40, 46.
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/1980 3337, 3837 (11 April 1947).
- <4> SSO815 Monograph: Bryant T.C. 1980. The Hollow Hills of Brendon. 6.
- <5> SSO46 Unassigned: Historic Buildings Council. 1:2500. HBC 3.003.-001.
- <6> SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE.
- <7> SEM6860 Report: The Hartley Conservation Partnership + David Sekers Consulting Partnership. 2004. West Somerset Mineral Railway Conservation Plan. 28-29.
- <8> SEM7046 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Notes on some of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines and the West Somerset Mineral Railway. 8.
- <9> SEM7038 Unpublished document: Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society. 1990. Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society Visit to the Brendon Hills. 4.
- <10> SEM7045 Report: Coate, S.. The Brendon Hills Iron Industry. 5.
- <11> SSO1415 Unpublished document: Murless, B.. 1986. Letter from Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society to Somerset County Council. 08 November 1986.
- <12> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9735.
- <13> SEM6762 Article in serial: Olszewska, M.. 2009. The West Somerset Mineral Railway. The Old Mineral Line. Exmoor Visitor.
- <14> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, March 1999.
- <15> SMO7276 Technical drawing: CARPENTER. Langham Hill Pit/pencil survey.
- <16> SMO7275 Technical drawing: CARPENTER. Langham Hill Pit/ink survey.
- <17> SEM7991 Serial: Exmoor Mines Research Group. Newsletter. Volume 40 (December 2012), 1.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9773 3562 (109m by 129m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128079 (Original Monarch entry: 1128079)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO804
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE 59
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128079
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33744
Record last edited
Mar 19 2015 1:06PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.