MSO7332 - Stoke Pero Church and Churchyard
|Name:||Stoke Pero Church and Churchyard|
|Type of Record:||Building|
|Grid Reference:||SS 8784 4349|
|Parish:||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
The church dates from medieval times but was reroofed and extensively restored in 1897 by Sir Thomas Acland, restored again in 1955. The tower, however, dates to the 13th Century. It has a baluster font.
- CHURCHYARD (Medieval to Modern - 1066 AD to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- PARISH CHURCH (AD 13th Century to Modern - 1200 AD to 2050 AD (Unclassified))
- Listed Building (II*) 1174803: STOKE PERO CHURCH
The dedication of Stoke Pero church is not known. Nothing remains of the old church except the tower and the porch and such of the materials as could be utilised in building the present church in 1897. The old church, which had no foundations, was much decayed on removal and probably took the place of a still older and smaller church. The list of rectors goes back to 1242. 
The church is in normal use. A notice in the church states that the parton saint is not known. 
Church. Save for one whitewashed farmhouse all alone in its fold of Exmoor. It must be one of the most solitary churches in Somerset. Only a farm-track leads to it. West tower of only one stage and a bit. Probably meant to go up higher. Covered with a saddleback roof. Nave and chancel in one. Straight-headed windows. Doorway of wood, a two-centred arch. Tower arch round on the simplest imposts (Norman or poor local workmanship?). 
Parish church, dedication unknown. 13th Century tower, 1897 church and tower reroofed and extensively restored, restored again 1955. Three bay nave and chancel without division. 
The church stands 1013 feet above sea level and as such is the highest church on Exmoor. When the new fountains were dug in 1897 three sets of human remains were uncovered from directly under the old north wall, suggesting that the 13th Century church had been built on the site of an older churchyard. The church font is medieval in date and the communion chalice (which is no longer kept in the church) dates to 1574. 
The buildings were visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6. 
<1> Healey, C.E.C, 1901, History of part of West Somerset, P. 243-5 (Monograph). SSO1258.
<2> PITCHER, GHP, Field Investigators Comments, Ordnance Survey visit, 22 June 1965 (Unpublished document). SMO7319.
<3> Pevsner, N., 1958, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, P. 224-5 (Monograph). SMO5711.
<4> Ordnance Survey, Various, Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) , OS 6" 1930 (Map). SMO5112.
<5> 5/6/1985, 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset) (Index). SSO58.
<6> Allen, N.V., 1974, Churches and Chapels of Exmoor, P. 80 (Monograph). SSO727.
<7> Usmar, J., 1990, Stoke Pero, Exmoor: Church and Parish (Monograph). SEM7155.
<8> Lawrence, G., 2014, Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13 (Report). SEM8060.
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/5/58
- Church Heritage Record ID: 601481
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10571
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12037
- Local List Status (No)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE11
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35977
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33676
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31044
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34879
|Date Last Edited:||Jan 30 2017 1:08PM|
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please