MSO8961 - Gupworthy New Pit (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (5)
- SPOIL HEAP (AD 19th Century - 1871 AD to 1885 AD (Unclassified))
- IRONSTONE MINE (AD 19th Century - 1871 AD to 1885 AD (Unclassified))
- DRYING HOUSE (AD 19th Century - 1871 AD to 1885 AD (Unclassified))
- POWDER MAGAZINE (AD 19th Century - 1871 AD to 1885 AD (Unclassified))
- ENGINE HOUSE (AD 19th Century - 1871 AD to 1885 AD (Unclassified))
`Gupworthy New Pit, disused' is marked on the 6" 1962 and 25" 1904 maps. [1,2] Was one of the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company mines. Started in 1871 and was connected to Gupworthy Old Pit (MSO8962). Siding from railway Closed then re-opened in 1879. Reached depth of 427ft in 1882. Two secondary adits - Skip (SS96443537) and Scotts Field (SS96223547). Also had a drying house and powder magazine. Finally closed in 1885. The engine house is evident as a ruin. [3-5] Located at SS 96283540 is a small elongated spoil heap presumed to be associated with the mine. This was seen as an earthwork and mapped from aerial photographs.  The remains of Gupworthy New Pit comprise a very disturbed spoil heap and the site of the shaft, now infilled. The ruins of the engine house were not seen. 
- <1> SSO1627 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93NE.
- <2> SSO1535 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 25" sheet. 58(1).
- <3> SSO1911 Monograph: Sellick R. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway. 38, 45.
- <4> SSO815 Monograph: Bryant T.C. 1980. The Hollow Hills of Brendon. 4.
- <5> SSO1004 Unassigned: Dennison, E, Somerset County Council. 22.12.85. Dennison E, SCPD 22.12.1985.
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980/3341 11-APR-1947.
- <7> SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE.
- <8> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. R Wilson-North March 1999 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 962 353 (543m by 179m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: Gupworthy Mine Powder Magazine (Monument) (MEM15216)
- Parent of: Mine shaft at Gupworthy New Pit (Monument) (MEM15361)
- Parent of: Mine shaft at Gupworthy New Pit (Monument) (MEM15366)
- Parent of: Ventilation Shaft at Gupworthy New Pit (Monument) (MEM15365)
- Related to: Gupworthy Old Pit (Monument) (MSO8962)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1127714 (Original Monarch entry: 1127714)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO797
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11081
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE 35
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1127714
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33378
Record last edited
Mar 20 2014 3:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.