MSO8962 - Gupworthy Old Pit (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
"Gupworthy Old Pit, disused" is marked on Ordnance Survey maps of 1904 and 1962. [1,2] The mine was owned by the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company and was begun in 1858 but expanded with the extension of the railway in 1862-3. The underground pumping and winding engine was replaced by a surface engine. By 1867 main drift was 260ft with 10 levels. It was closed in 1879 but re-opened reaching a maximum depth of 461ft in 1881. It closed again in 1885, although there was some 20th Century re-working. Air shaft at SS96823524, main shaft at SS96673531 and engine house at SS96673532. Railway ran close to mine with siding. Spoil heap on south side of the line crossed by raised tramway. Powder magazine at SS96383528. The buildings were robbed for stone in 1907. [3,4] Most of the buildings are ruinous having been robbed for stone. Only the drying house was standing in 1984 and was evidence as a mortared stone slate-roofed structure. The spoil heap was in the process of removal and there was little other trace of workings.  Located at SS 9655 3527 is an area of disturbed ground in the region of the above mentioned Gupworthy Old Pit. The features were seen as slight earthworks and mapped from aerial photographs. [6-9; 13-16] Gupworthy Mine shaft is located adjacent to the West Somerset Mineral Railway line, centred on circa SS 96673531. The pumping and winding engine house was located immediately to the north but has now been demolished, only three anchor bolts remaining on site.  Gupworthy Mine was the first opened on the Brendon Hills spathic ore deposits.  Initial smelting trials of ore extracted at Gupworthy by Lethbridge took place at Dowlais and Tredegarin south Wales in 1848. Both companies declined to take further ore and additional trials did not take place until 1852.  The remains of Gupworthy Old Pit consist of the shaft head now capped with concrete in the garden of a private house, at approximately SS 9667 3532. To the south, at SS 9666 3527, was a massive spoil heap adjacent to the WSMR. That has now been removed and no trace of it survives. 
- <1> SSO1627 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93NE.
- <2> SSO1548 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1974. 25" SS9635.
- <3> SSO1911 Monograph: Sellick R. 1970. The West Somerset Mineral Railway. 38, 45, 54, 59.
- <4> SSO815 Monograph: Bryant T.C. 1980. The Hollow Hills of Brendon. 5.
- <5> SSO837 Unassigned: Burrow, I. 11.04.84. Somerset County Council. Burrow I, SCPD, 11-APR-1984.
- <6> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 3339 11-APR-1947.
- <7> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . SCPD.HSL.UK.71-177 Run 97, 8782 Sept 1971.
- <8> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980/3341 11-APR-1947.
- <9> SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE.
- <10> SEM7005 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Report on Proposed Low-Key Visitor Access to Industrial Sites on the Brendon Hills. P.17.
- <11> SEM7045 Report: Coate, S.. The Brendon Hills Iron Industry. P.2-3,5.
- <12> SEM7044 Report: Lardner, E.. The Brendon Hills and the Iron Industry 1850-1880. P.24.
- <13> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9635.
- <14> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3339.
- <15> SSO260 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 97. 8782.
- <16> SSO156 Aerial photograph: 1993, 1994. DAP VU 25-6, 28 (1993), WD31-3 (1994).
- <17> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. R Wilson-North March 1999 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 965 352 (272m by 161m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1127718 (Original Monarch entry: 1127718)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO798
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11082
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12307
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE36
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1127718
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33379
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35435
Record last edited
Mar 20 2014 3:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.