MEM15216 - Gupworthy Mine Powder Magazine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A small powder magazine stood at circa SS 9665 3524, approximately 100 metres to the south of Gupworthy Village mine buildings, until the 1960s.  The structure is depicted on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey 1:2500 County Series maps of circa 1888 and 1904. [2,3] Correct mapping unclear - this monument has been marked at SS 9665 3524 (where a building does show on the 1st and 2nd Edition maps) but a building exists slightly to the west that is labelled 'powder magazine (disused)' on the 1st Edition map at SS 9638 3527. [2-4]
- <1> SEM6840 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1993. West Somerset Mineral Railway Research Design Summary Report. P.16.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 11 February 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9651 3525 (277m by 53m) (2 map features)|
|Historic Parish||WITHIEL FLOREY|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
Record last edited
Oct 11 2021 12:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.