MSO8690 - Possible shrunken settlement at Westwater Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 852 328. Earthworks around the present farmstead of Westwater indicated by McDonnell (and presumably seen on aerial photographs) are possibly indicative of a change of site or shrinkage from a hamlet to a farmstead. Aston's grid reference would appear to be incorrect as Westwater Farm is located at SS 848 330. [1,2] This source may be referring to the earthworks noted in record MSO11746. This latter record is sited at SS 852 328 and does not appear to have a corresponding reference by Aston.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. R McDonnell.
- <2> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. 101.
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 7 January 2015.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35828, Extant 2 February 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 848 330 (point) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35828 (Pastscape entry: 35828)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW13
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35828
Record last edited
Feb 2 2022 12:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.