MEM15207 - Westwater Farm, Hawkridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Winsford Tithe Map as a continuous linear range of farm buildings, sited between approximately SS 8479 3308 and SS 8484 3306. It is not clear whether the western end of the range is still extant or if it has been demolished and rebuilt but, if the latter is true, this appears to have occurred after the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. Two additional outbuildings shown on the Tithe Map at SS 8478 3307 and SS 8483 3305 still appear to be extant, as is a further small building shown on the 1st Edition map at c. SS 8480 3305. [1-4] The farmstead was viewed from a short distance in January 1997. The farmhouse was described as a smallish, symmetrical building constructed from rubble with unrestored 19th Century windows and a central door position. It was thought to date to the late 17th Century but a glazed porch at the junction of the house and farm buildings was thought to suggest a doorway, possibly indicating a medieval origin for the house with its high end raised up later. Detached from the eastern end, at a right angle is an 18th or 19th Century tin roofed barn. It was thought the farmyard must have been in front of the house. The remaining buildings were described as ad hoc 20th Century additions, including a large, "smart and very decent" long building adjoining below the farmstead. 
- <1> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 164.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8482 3306 (85m by 53m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 164
Record last edited
Apr 19 2021 11:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.