MSO11746 - Medieval or post-medieval farmstead north of Parsonage Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Group of low banks forming small group of irregular enclosures with possible building remains. Remains of rectangular fields to the south. [1,2] Not mentioned in Aston's list of deserted settlements.  No buildings are shown on the Tithe Map, although the associated field system is shown. The field at the grid reference is however reference to as "ruin" in the apportionment.  Centered at SS 8513 3287 is a large platformed area cut into the gentle slope of a natural level above West Water. It measures approximately 19.5 metres across the slope by 6.8 metres and appears to represent a deserted farmstead. On the higher side of the platform are the fragmented stone and hedge remains of the banks of the surrounding fields. The origin of these features is uncertain. The surface of the platform is littered with stone, although no coherent structures can be seen. On the higher side a branch has fallen, obscuring part of the site. 
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3361.
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. 8532.
- <3> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 102.
- <4> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 26 April 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8513 3287 (126m by 98m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8701
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SE33
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape / NRHE HOB UID: 932920
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34314
Record last edited
Mar 31 2021 1:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.