MSO8597 - Post-medieval waterwheel at Great Nurcott (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
'Aqueduct' is printed on the 1st Edition and 1903 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map, which also show two ponds and a series of leats leading to the farm buildings at Great Nurcott before continuing onwards. [1,2] Water wheel, pond and stream remain. Wheel pit and bearings extant. Breast wheel 16 foot diameter and 2 foot wide. Positions of bearings suggest ring gear. Powered general farm machinery.  The farmstead was visited as part of the Exmoor Farm Buildings Survey in partnership with the Victoria County History. During the visit, the bank barn (SS 9048 3633) was noted to include the site of the waterwheel. Built of stone, water was taken in troughs to the top of the waterwheel. This provided power for shearing upstairs, and presumably other equipment. A later installed electric motor in the shippon was connected to a hopper. The waterwheel was situated within the northeastern corner of the bank barn.  The wheelpit is situated at SS 9048 3633, adjacent to the eastern gable end of the bank barn. It has been capped and has a farm structure built over the top. The interior of the pit was glimpsed through an inspection hole on a site visit in February 2020. The ponds that fed and received the water from the wheel pit were also visited during the visit. The southern (downslope) pond fed water into the water meadow system below (MMO838). 
- <1>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #43231 ]
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903, 46(14).
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society, 24 November 1977.
- <4> SEM7277 Survey: Victoria County History. 2006. England's Past for Everyone: Exmoor Project. Historic Farm Buildings Project. Great Nurcott.
- <5> SEM8818 Report: Dove, C. and Blaylock, S.. 2020. HER Input Form: Great Nurcott Farm site visit.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 905 363 (55m by 104m)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Parent of: Post-medieval ditch north of Great Nurcott Farm (Monument) (MEM24839)
- Parent of: Post-medieval water meadow south and west of Great Nurcott Farm (Monument) (MMO838)
- Part of: Great Nurcott Farmstead (Building) (MEM23695)
- Related to: Post-medieval pond north of Great Nurcott Farm (Monument) (MEM24837)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1089181 (Original Monarch entry: 1089181)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11655
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW34
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1089181
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34213
Record last edited
Oct 26 2020 1:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.