MEM23695 - Great Nurcott Farmstead (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The Tithe Map for Winsford shows a large group of farm buildings organised around a central building at SS 9044 3632. They are all labelled 344 and most still appear to survive in some form when compared with modern MasterMap data, although some of the smaller peripheral buildings have since been replaced or altered. The central building is the modern day farmhouse and this appears to have been in use with a similar function in 1839. The accompanying apportionment records this land parcel under Great Nurcott, describes it as "House…Barton etc" and states that it is in the ownership of the Right Honourable Earl of Carnarvon, occupied by John Williams. [1,4] The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map both label the site "Great Nurcott" and nearly all of the buildings depicted still appear to be extant in the form shown on these maps. [2-4] The site was visited in March 1997 as part of a survey of Exmoor farmsteads. The house was said to be very interesting, with a porch at the front and the back having a very good wing with late 17th Century windows. A few rubble stone built buildings were noted to be grouped to the back of the house and beside it but were not fully seen as part of the survey. The site was noted to be an "important ancient place".  The site was surveyed as part of the Exmoor Farm Buildings Survey in association with Victoria County History in July 2006. Each element of the site was recorded separately. 1. Farmhouse (SS 9044 3632) - this was noted to include an inglenook fireplace with bread oven. An old granary was also thought to be incorporated into the house, at SS 9042 3632. A reference to Sir Alfred Mallins suggests the house is possibly early 15th Century in date; 2. Bank barn with shippon underneath (SS 9048 3633) - This building included the site of the waterwheel (see MSO8597). Built of stone, water was taken in troughs to the top of the waterwheel. This provided power for shearing upstairs, and presumably other equipment. A later installed electric motor in the shippon was connected to a hopper; 3. Long shippon and linhay (SS 9050 3634) - The shippon was recorded as having a cart shed and linhay with an open elevation including round pillars facing south at the eastern end of the range (SS 9051 3634). It is built of stone and floored in cobbles. There is a rebuilt shippon between the long shippon and bank barn (2), at SS 9049 3633; 4. Pigsty (SS 9046 3633) - Built of stone with a new slate roof, the building had been restored and may previously have had a different function. It had a concrete 1st floor with a garage door in the northern gable end; 5. Stable (SS 9044 3634) - This is a stone building with a slate roof; 6. Trap house, stable and ash house (SS 9043 3633) - Built of stone with a slate roof and earthern floor, the building was derelict at the time of survey; 7. Cart shed (SS 9040 3632) - a derelict building of Stone and slate, with an earthern floor. The north side was open with wooden arches, and the remains of a lean to were noted on the southern side, with only the east wall remaining; 8. The waterwheel (SS 9048 3634) - situated within the northeastern corner of the bank barn, 2 (see MSO8597). In addition, a map noted that an old straw house that had been demolished was situated at SS 9048 3632 and a demolished hayshed had been located at SS 9050 3635. A woodshed is at SS 9044 3633 and an arch was noted to be sited at SS 9042 3633, with a modern barn (built 40 years previously) situated at SS 9048 3635. Changes were made due to labour problems. The farm was purchased by Hayes in 1910. The main area of modern farm activities and new barns is in the valley to the south. The farm includes sheep and cattle. Sir Alfred Mallins came here years ago and said parts were 15th Century in date. Many roofs were replaced in 1962/3 at the time of heavy snows, which caved the old roofs in. These were replaced with asbestos.  The farmhouse and associated farm buildings were Listed at Grade II in May 2017. 
- <1> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 344.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 331.
- <6> SEM7277 Survey: Victoria County History. 2006. England's Past for Everyone: Exmoor Project. Historic Farm Buildings Project. Great Nurcott.
- <7> SEM8740 Unpublished document: Unknown. 2017. DCMS advice report: Great Nurcott Farm, Winsford; 1440921.
- <8> SEM8818 Report: Dove, C. and Blaylock, S.. 2020. HER Input Form: Great Nurcott Farm site visit.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9043 3630 (178m by 101m)|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 331
Record last edited
Oct 26 2020 1:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.