MSO8590 - Pitcott Corn Mill, Winsford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (5)
- LEAT (Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD to 1929 AD?)
- SLUICE (Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD to 1929 AD?)
- WEIR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WHEEL PIT (Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD to 1929 AD?)
- ORCHARD (AD 16th Century to AD 19th Century - 1540 AD? to 1890 AD?)
- None recorded
A mill site is depicted on the Tithe Map for Winsford, including a leat, mill house (MEM23607) and house (MEM23605) with two small associated outbuildings at c. SS 9072 3476 and SS 9073 3477. The accompanying apportionment states that the land owned by the mill includes the mill house and house, and areas of meadow ("Close," "Moory Mead" and "Withy Bed"), pasture ("Mill Ham and "Lower Broom Close"), arable ("Higher Broom Close") and orchard ("Bridgend Orchard" and "Mill House Orchard").  'Pitcott Corn Mill' and a 'Mill Leat' are labelled on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch map.  'Pitcott Corn Mill' and a 'Mill Leat' are labelled on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch map.  'Mill Leat' is labelled on the Ordnance Survey 1962 6 inch map.  Pitcott Corn Mill, a post medieval building, has now been converted to a dwelling. Other remains include a wheel pit, leat, and sluices. The wheel pit and wall show scoring, indicating that the wheel measured 10 feet in diameter by 3 feet in width. The stone weir on the River Exe, at SS 906 349, and the leat to SS 9095 3470 are in good condition, and are maintained by the Devon River Board.  N.B. The GIS mapping for this Monument record relates to the main mill complex, leat and orchards. [1,6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 656, 664+5, 659, 661, 663, 667, 746, 660.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 57(2).
- <4> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. SS93SW.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society, 24 November 1977.
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 22 June 2016.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1095099, Extant 9 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9081 3479 (302m by 211m) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1095099 (Original Monarch entry: 1095099)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW22
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1095099
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34214
Record last edited
May 9 2022 8:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.