MSO8087 - World War Two structure west of target railway on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 92085 48622 is a flat topped earthen mound. It measures 25 metres by 16 metres and is 3.7 metres high. It lies at the west end of a World War Two target railway (MSO8084) with which it is clearly associated. It may have contained a structure connected with the use of the railway.  The mound referred to above  is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The mound is centred at SS 9206 4859 and measures about 19 metres long by 8 metres wide and is as described above. The structure may also have been an observation post. [2-4]
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 April 1998.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4010-4011 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 161-162 (17 April 1979).
- <4>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #42987 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 92062 48596 (27m by 18m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1131091 (Original Monarch entry: 1131091)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167618 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167618)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO822
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12642
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW129
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167618
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1131091
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35853
Record last edited
Nov 4 2020 2:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.