MSO8083 - Post-medieval or 20th Century mound southwest of West Myne (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A large patch of gorse on the crest of the hill at SS 9235 4860 probably marks the remains of a bunker. On the ground the feature is a linear mound c25 metres long. At the eastern end erosion has exposed rubble and there is one piece of concrete lying on the surface.  Not visible on 1946 aerial photographs and so may be associated with the Rotor radar station (MSO7673).  Centred at SS 92326 48564 is a linear mound. It measures 25 metres by 7 metres and is 1.2 metres high. It is composed of earth and stone. The eastern end is especially stony suggesting that modern agricultural clearance has resulted in stone dumping on the feature. A number of loose pieces of concrete are also visible.  The linear mound referred to above  is not visible on aerial photographs taken in 1946, but nearby to the National Grid Reference given at SS 9235 4855 is a field bank which has been disturbed by Second World War military tracks. The tracks gave access to the target railway (MSO8084). The field bank appears to be partially destroyed on aerial photographs taken in 1979. [2,4-5]
- <1> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, SMR Officer, July 1998.
- <2> SSO364 Aerial photograph: July 1946. RAF 106G\UK\1655 4005 to 4013. 4010-4011.
- <3>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 April 1998. [Mapped feature: #46793 ]
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 161-162 (17 April 1979).
- <5> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
|Grid reference||SS 92326 48564 (point)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (2)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA168309 (National Trust HER entry: MNA168309)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1131075 (Original Monarch entry: 1131075)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO818
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12584
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW125
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA168309
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1131075
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35792
Record last edited
Nov 4 2020 3:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.