MSO8017 - Late medieval dovecote at Blackford Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[SS 9247 4528] The mansion house of the manor of Blackford belonged to the Lovel family in the 13th Century. The dovecote, a building of 15th Century character, still remains intact. The manor house was burnt down in the late 19th Century. Its site at SS 9241 4526 is now occupied by modern farm buildings. The dovecote, a circular building with 302 nests, is in a good state of repair. See GP AO/65/181/4  Dovecote belonging to Blackford Farm. Grade II*. Circular medieval dovecote, rubble with conical stone roof.  (SS 9247 4528) Dovecot (NR).  SS 925 453. Blackford Farm Dovecote. Scheduled.  Dovecot. Late medieval. Coursed random rubble, partly roughcast, conical stone roof rising from moulded cornice, open in centre. Circular in plan. Square headed plank door with renewed brick lintel. Interior: 11 tiers of irregularly spaced nesting boxes rising to eaves level, said to number 302 in all. No evidence of a potence or other interior features. The manorhouse at Blackford was destroyed by fire in 1875 and the dovecot was aquired by the National Trust in 1944. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 207). [7-9] Scheduling affirmed with new national number (was Somerset 207) on 3 September 2002.  Associated with the mansion house of the manor of Blackford which was burnt down in the 19th Century.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 9. 
- <1> SSO1236 Monograph: Hancock, F. 1897. The Parish of Selworthy. P. 26-7.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. J K Riddler Blackford Farm Selworthy.
- <3> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 27 July 1965.
- <4> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE (HHR) Williton RD Somer (March 1962) 80.
- <5> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:10000 / 1974.
- <6> SEM7732 Index: Department of the Environment (IAM). 1978. List of Ancient Monuments of England and Wales 1978. P. 123.
- <7> SEM7801 Monograph: Chadwyck-Healy, C. E. H.. 1901. The history of the part of West Somerset : comprising the parishes of Luccombe, Selworthy, Stoke Pero, Porlock, Culbone and Oare.. H. Sotheran & Co..
- <8> SEM7802 Monograph: Ridler, J K. 1983. A Selworthy Notebook.
- <9> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <10> SSO2043 Unassigned: Webster, Chris Somerset Historic Environment Record. 09/2002.
- <11> SSO942 Unassigned: Dennison, E, Somerset County Council. 06.05.86.
- <12> SSO4 Article in serial: Unknown. 11/11/1973. Unknown. Country Life. 1068.
- <13> SMO1450 Photograph: MEDIEVAL DOVECOTE AT BLACKFORD FARM, SELWORTHY, FROM WEST. OS65/F181/4. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <14> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <15> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <16> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9247 4528 (7m by 7m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36790 (Original Monarch entry: 36790)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4): 1076/4/75
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10708
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11996
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW 11
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36790
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33996
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34626
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31204
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34626
Record last edited
Mar 17 2020 4:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.