Scheduled Monument: Dovecote at Little Blackford
Department for Culture, Media and Sport
04 April 1949
Date last amended
03 September 2002
The monument includes a dovecote located in the grounds of Little Blackford to the south east of Selworthy. The dovecote dates from the late medieval period and stands in the grounds of the former Blackford Manor which was destroyed by fire in 1875. It is circular in plan and constructed of coursed random-rubble walls, up to 1.2m thick and about 5m high, topped with a conical stone tiled roof which rises to a circular opening. The overall height of the structure is 7.6m. Entrance into the dovecote is through a wooden framed doorway, 2m high and 2.5m wide, topped with a plain heavy wood lintel, and hung with a vertically planked door. The interior is 5.7m in diameter with walls lined to eaves level with 11 tiers of irregularly spaced nest holes. The late medieval dovecote is constructed in a style characteristic of the 15th century and formed part of the Blackford Manor which belonged to the Lovel family in the 13th century. It is believed that the original manor house was constructed by Hugh, Earl of Chester, a nephew of William the Conqueror. The dovecote is Listed Grade II*. The public information display board together with all fencing and fence posts are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.
Book Reference - Title: MPP Dovecote Assessment - Type: DESC TEXT - Description: Blackford Farm, Selworthy
Book Reference - Author: Hancock, P - Title: The Parish of Selworthy - Date: 1897 - Page References: 26-7 - Type: DESC TEXT