MSO7977 - Porlock Parks (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
"The Parks", "Allerpark Combe" and "Allerpark Road" printed on Ordnance Survey Archaeological Division 6 inch map. Also "Cunnigar Plantation" at the east end which is probably a rabbit warren.  "The Parks" refers to the steep wooded slopes west of Hawkcombe and east of Porlockford Combe. The Parks, together with Park Barn (SS 8660 4648) and Park Cottage (SS 8717 4633), are noted on the 1st edition 6 inch map.  Porlock Parks were set out in the 14th Century under Sir Nigel Loring's lordship. They have remained part of the Porlock Estate since then. The Parks were useful for keeping pigs. Tenants paid 2d. for woodweyght and 1d. for ferneheu. The first was the right to take wood and the second the right to take fern. The Coney-garth or Coney-acre was where the Lord of the Manor caught his rabbits.  The possible extent of the park is visible on the Tithe Map as an enclosed area of ground, lying to the west of Court Place, north of the A39 road up Porlock Hill and south of West Porlock and surrounding enclosed fields. A funnel ended lane from West Porlock leads up into the woods and another lane entry is shown from the West Porlock Road, a further lane entry comes from Court Place initially on the line of the later Toll Road and then followed by the current access lane. This suggested area of park is called 'The Parks' on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition as recorded above, and is now crossed by the later 19th Century Toll Road. On the Tithe Map broadleafed woodland is depicted on the steep slopes with the internal area divided into large enclosures with no trees depicted on the higher ground. Park Barn is shown as a building but there is nothing at the location of Park Cottage. Further research and field verification is required to confirm the extent of the park. [4,5]
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1891.
- <3> SEM7093 Monograph: Corner, Dennis. 1992. Porlock in Those Days. Exmoor Books. p47-9, 89.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information.
- <5> SEM7162 Map: Cox, J. W.C.. 1841. Porlock Tithe Map and Apportionment. 13.3 inches : 1 mile.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 87 46 (1564m by 876m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1127386 (Original Monarch entry: 1127386)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11809
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE39
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1127386
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34387
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.